Using the Library
Library Use and Conduct Policy
Purpose: Holmes County Public Library seeks to provide its users with a safe and pleasant library experience in an atmosphere conducive to study, reading and appropriate use of materials and services. So that all persons may enjoy the benefits of the Library, individuals visiting or using the Library’s facilities or services (“users”) must comply with the following Guidelines for Library Use:
- Children under the age of 12 must be accompanied at all times by a parent, guardian, or other responsible person.
- The Library Director may restrict adult use of Children’s areas in order to ensure the adequate protection of the Library facilities and of persons and property therein.
- Shirts and shoes or other footwear are to be worn while in the building.
- Persons under the influence of alcohol or non-prescribed drugs are not allowed on Library property.
- All libraries are tobacco free, smoke free, and e-cigarette free, including restrooms, hallways, conference room(Annex), and entrances and exits adjacent to the building.
- People, animals, or property must not block aisles, doorways, stairways or ramps. Large objects such as carts and bicycles may not be brought into Library facilities. Lying on the floor or furniture is prohibited.
- Persons who remain at Library facilities after closing, and who need assistance to return home may be referred to the police in order to ensure their safety.
Roller skates, scooters, skateboards or other similar devices must not be used on Library property.
- Indecent exposure, including but not limited to having sex and/or exhibiting lewd and offensive nakedness, is prohibited.
- Vandalizing or abusing Library materials, equipment or facilities is prohibited.
- Soliciting money, donations or signatures is not allowed.
- Selling of merchandise without the prior authorization of the Library Director is prohibited.
- Unreasonable use of rest rooms, including laundering and bathing is prohibited.
- Blocking library entrance areas or interfering with the free flow of pedestrian traffic in such areas is not allowed.
- Animals, other than service animals assisting persons with disabilities, are not permitted inside Library facilities or within 10 feet of any door.
- Any activity that unreasonably interferes with Library user or staff comfort, safety, use of the Library, is not allowed including but not limited to:
- Harassing or threatening Library users or staff;
- Staring at or following Library users or staff;
- Strong, pervasive odors including odors caused by perfume or cologne;
- Making any loud or unreasonable noise or other disturbance, including disruptive use of personal communication or entertainment devices including cell phones.
Persons who violate these guidelines may receive a warning from the Library staff and/or an opportunity to cease the violation or leave the Library. Illegal activity, as well as any willful or repeated violations of these Guidelines or other posted Library regulations (e.g. computer and Internet use rules), may result in removal from the facility and/or suspension of Library privileges. In addition, where authorized by Federal, State, or local law, violations of these Guidelines may also result in arrest.
Get a Library Card
Copies and Computer Printouts
Black-and-white copies letter size paper .25¢ per page single-sided or $.50 per page double-sided Black-and-white copies legal-size paper .50¢ per page single-sided or 1.00¢ per page double-sided Public copier/printer is black and white only
Individuals can bring their own colored paper or request color copies price varies
Faxing is available with sending and receiving capabilities cost is $ 1.25 per page to send or to receive faxes. Our library’s fax number is 850-547-2801, if you are receiving a fax here make sure your name and phone number are on the cover sheet.
Scanning and Laminating Services
Scanning and laminating is available come by or call for more information.
- Notary Services is free
- Overdrive/Ebooks and Online Library Catalog is available.
- Print enlargements available for some photos call for more information.
- Information about community services, offices, organizations, and individual services is available.
- Come by during our regular hours and see what other services we offer.
A. J. (Jim) Dixon Library Annex
Our Library Annex is used for various library activities and events. It is also available for non-profit organizations and groups to use for meetings, events, or special activities. There is a refundable cleaning deposit that is required
for the use of the building.
Call 850-547-3573 for availability and let’s get you booked today.
Acceptable Internet and Wi-Fi Use Policy
The Holmes County Public Library (HCPL) will provide Internet access free of charge to the public HCPL may monitor the unauthorized activities of individual users but has not control over the information accessed through the internet and cannot be held responsible for content.
Individual users must accept responsibility for determining the suitability of content for themselves and their children.
All users of the internet must sign in and out on the computer log and use is limited to one hour if someone is waiting for a computer. Young adults (12-16) must have a signed permission slip for their parent/guardian. Children under the age of 12 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
ALL USERS MUST SIGN THE ACCEPTABLE USE AGREEMENT
Internet computers may only be used for legal purposes. Users must respect the legal protections to data and software provided by copyright and license laws.
UNACCEPTABLE USE INCLUDES BUT IS NOT LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING:
- Viewing materials that would be considered obscene by local community standards.
- Violating copyright or software licenses.
- Altering, damaging, deleting or modifying the installed hardware, software or programs.
- Accessing programs, apps, control panel, computer set up, or dos.
- Using the computers to attempt unauthorized entry into other computers or networks
- Disrupting or interfering with other computers, networks, users, services, or equipment.
- Committing any offense listed in Florida Statute 815ET SEQ.
- Using the internet to transmit obscene, threatening or harassing materials, or spam.
- Deliberate propagation of computer worms or viruses.
- Use of personal software or downloading to the hard drive without prior approval.
- Illegal or unethical activities.
- Disconnecting Library equipment from any computer device.
- Connecting any device to the computers without permission.
- Misrepresenting oneself.
This policy applies to all library equipment as appropriate. Holmes County Public Library will not provide email accounts. PPLCS and the member libraries shall have no liability for direct, indirect, or consequential damages related to the use of information accessed through the internet service.
Borrowing (Interlibrary Loan)
Holmes County Public Library has a great selection of materials, but sometimes the library might not own the exact work that you’re looking for. That’s where our InterLibrary Loan (ILL) service comes in handy.
Our Library is proud to be a part of the Panhandle Public Library Cooperative System working with Calhoun County Libraries and Jackson County Libraries. Together we have created a Library Catalog for all of our cardholders (patrons).
Using our Library Catalog you can go in and view what items you may be interested in, place them on hold, we will pull the item for you, and call to let you know it is ready to pick up. If you request a book from our cooperative libraries we will contact you as soon as it arrives this could take up to 2 weeks.
Our Interlibrary Loans extend past our cooperative libraries, we can now order books from around the State of Florida through the State Library ILL system. So if you are looking for a specific item call our staff and we can order for you.
Call 850-547-3573 to place your request.
Note: we do not ILL audiobooks, CDs, or DVDs due to the risk of them being damaged in delivery.
Patrons are allowed to request up to 3 items within a 30 day period.
Having trouble finding your item? Give us a call at 850-547-3573 for help.